Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Combining Plastic & Clay

I played with Plastic Modeling Pellets when I wrote my book on Mixed Media in Clay (which has a whole chapter on paper clay). Fun stuff. When Creative Paperclay® sent me some, I had to experiment with it.

SUPPLIES

Plastic Modeling Pellets 
Creative Paperclay® slurry
Acrylic paint
Rubber Stamp
Hot water
PAM cooking spray








Hot water makes the plastic pellets moldable. Although you can heat water in a pan or in skillet, I usually just microwave a cup of water until it bubbles. Note that the steam greyed out my photograph. The pellets go into the hot water white and hard then become transparent and clump together. At this time take it out of the water to mold. It may be very hot. If it is, let it cool down enough to touch.












I placed it on a rubber stamp that sprayed with PAM. I was using it as a cheap mold release. It is not necessary on rubber but makes the release of the plastic easier.



















As it cools down it will become white again. At this point, you can remove it from the stamp. If you don't like the design, just reheat it and start again.



















My first experiment was to do apply a wash of irridescent Bronze paint. This color will separate when used as a wash and leave green areas.




















If we stamp with the original rubber stamp we would get a debossed look. We did that to the plastic so when stamped into paper clay we get the look of the original rubber stamp  Got that? One is embossed and the other is debossed.

















Then I made a colored paper clay slurry and applied it to the painted cast plastic.





















I wiped off the excess with a damp paper towel so that the pattern showed. When this is dry, I will cut it with my table saw into a shape to put into my art.

I love the process and playing.

Dream in Color!

Darlene Olivia McElroy

No comments: