Monday, June 8, 2015

The Imperfect Heart

 
 Hi,

Today I am showing a few mixed media techniques to make your creative paperclay piece pop.

I have heard that black wings symbolize imperfections. Showing that everyone makes mistakes and its okay to make mistakes.This was my inspiration for my mixed media piece "The Imperfect Heart"



The Supplies

Creative Paperclay®
5x7 canvas
Heart and wing mold
Sandits®
Cheese cloth
E-6000 glue
Water mister
Golden® matte medium
Tim holtz distress stain (wild honey, vintage photo, chipped sapphire, broken china)
Americana multi-surface satin paint (black tie, red barn)
Americana crystal gloss glitter paint (black)
Dylusions ink spray (post box red)
Pearlescent liquid acrylic (galactic blue)
Various sizes of paint brushes
Hair dryer 


Let's get started

Cut off a few small pieces of cheese clot.Spread a small amount of matte medium on the canvas, then lay the cheese cloth on top of it. Next add matte medium on top of the cheese cloth to secure it into place.



Dot  several colors of the distress stain on the canvas. 




Use a water mister and spray on the canvas. Pick up with canvas and tilt it in different directions to create a unique flowing look. 



While still wet you can spray on Dylusions and  Pearlescent liquid acrylic.  
Time saving tip:Use a hair dryer to dry your paints, stains and mediums in between steps.



I create the heart and wing piece from a candy mold.
Note: When using these kind of molds with your paperclay be sure that the clay does not spill out over the edges of the mold. Let it dry some before you try and remove it from the mold.


Clean up the dried paperclay mold using Sandits®.
These are the best products that I have found to clean up small detailed areas of your paper clay.


Finally paint your piece using the Americana multi surface and crystal gloss glitter paint. Attach it to the canvas using E-6000 glue.


I am so glad you decided to stop by and take a peek at my tutorial.  

Shari

I have been creating art for as long as I can remember. I studied graphic design in Portland, Oregon before moving to Denton, Texas and putting all my focus on creating mixed media art. In addition to being on the Creative Paperclay design team, I am a contributor for the Robin's Nest Design Team, an article writer for Mixed Media Art, and a blogger and outside artist for DecoArt.
I strongly believe in giving back. I volunteer at Scrap Denton Creative Reuse Center where I teach workshops, art camps, and perform art demos. I am very passionate about mixed media art and enjoy helping and watching others discover their creativity.

No comments: