Friday, March 21, 2014

Dimensional Art Canvas with Rachel Whetzel

HELLO, Creatives!! Rachel here, to share with you, a project that my art student created, and I helped her with. It is a beautiful dimensional mixed media piece that she designed. Originally, when she and I were talking about what kind of projects she'd like to try during our time together, her idea was to create the piece as one dimension. As we talked about her inspiration, and what elements she wanted, I realized that her piece would be really great as a dimensional piece, and of course, I knew we'd use Creative Paperclay® for that!


WHAT YOU'LL NEED to make your own flowers:
  • Canvas that you'd like to add dimension to. Paint the layers that will go behind your dimension before you layer! 
  • Creative Paperclay®
  • Paints. I use Folk Art acrylic craft paints.
  • Glue. I use Crafter's Pick : The Ultimate
To create the roses on this piece, I started by rolling out three small balls of Creative Paperclay®
 Next, start smooshing the edges of the ball, and creating a flat circle. Don't worry about making a perfect circle, just smoosh well.
 Keep working until the edges are thin.
 Once your edges are thin, wrinkle your piece and create petals.
 Roll the center of your piece to create a base for attaching the rest of your petals.
 Repeat the process with each ball, adding the new piece to the outside of the first.

 When you have finished, use some scissors to cut the stem off the flower.
 Once your pieces are dry, you can start painting.
Paint your base with the lightest color that you will use, and then with each layer of darker color, wipe off the layers to expose some of the lighter color. This will help the dimensions show well. When the paint is dry, start layering! 
It was my student's idea to use the chevrons behind the original image she used for her piece! We used a piece of plywood for a canvas, and she drew the anchor onto the piece using a sharpie marker. I really love the way that it all came together. 

Thanks for reading! If you'd like to keep up with me, and see more of what I'm up to, I'd also love it if you'd visit MY BLOG and Subscribe! You can also find me on FACEBOOK!

1 comment:

LeeB said...

Really pretty flowers, once the color is on POP!